Oil spill history Timeline
- The oil tanker Exxon Valdez strikes Prince William Sound's Bligh Reef in Alaska, spilling 40.9 million litres of crude oil. It really is regarded as one of several worst manufactured ecological disasters ever before.
1991 - The Gulf War oil spill is determined to-be the greatest oil spill of all time. To ward of a possible landing by United States marines, the Iraqi military dumped as much as 1.5 million tonnes of oil from several tankers in to the Persian Gulf. The oil damaged the ecosystem in Persian Gulf, around Kuwait and Iraq.
- The oil tanker MV Sea Empress strikes rocks while going into the Cleddau Estuary in Wales, spilling up to 73, 000 tonnes of oil in to the bay. The spill was particularly deadly toward regional bird population.
- The oil tanker MV Erika sinks off the coastline of France after much violent storm. The tanker introduced several thousand tonnes of oil which killed marine life and washed up on shores around Brittany, France.
- The oil tanker Prestige sinks off the coastline of Spain after becoming damaged in a violent storm. Around 20 million gallons of oil leaked into the ocean, washing up on more than 1, 000 beaches regarding the Spanish and French coastline.
- Up to 30, 000 tonnes of oil leaked in to the Mediterranean after the storage tanks at Jiyeah Power facility had been bombed during the Israel-Lebanon dispute that 12 months. The slick killed seafood and you will find worries it might probably have increased the risk of cancer.
- The MT Hebei Spirit leaked around 10, 800 tonnes of oil into South Korea's Yellow water, after a collision with a crane barge. The smooth affected regional ocean farms and up to 40 beaches.
- Around 230 tonnes of gasoline oil and 620 tonnes of ammonium nitrate leaked into the ocean north of Moreton Bay in Queensland after unsecured cargo on Pacific Adventurer changed during a cyclone. The spill washed-up on 60 kilometres of coast in south-east Queensland, however authorities state the total ecological price is unknown.
- around 30, 000 tonnes of oil spilled to the Timor Sea from the north-west Australian coastline after the western Atlas oil rig began dripping gas and oil.
- the majority coal provider ShenNeng 1 works aground east of Rockhampton in Central Queensland. Around three to four tonnes of gasoline oil leaked into the sea and around three kilometres of this Great Barrier Reef ended up being seriously damaged.
- a huge surge rips through Deepwater Horizon oil rig from the united states of america coast, killing 11 individuals. The explosion sinks the rig, had by BP, many six million litres of oil begin spilling into the water, threatening the coasts of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. United States President Barack Obama defines it as an "unprecedented" ecological catastrophe.
Topics: disasters-and-accidents, business-economics-and-finance, business, oil-and-gas, maritime, emergency-incidents, environment, environmental-management, oceans-and-reefs, pollution, water-pollution, united-states
- Many large businesses either already accept Bitcoin.